Friday, February 1, 2013

Giving potatoes another go

Last year I tried planting potatoes in reusable shopping bags since I'd seen several sites mention this as a good method to use.  I was disappointed when the bags deteriorated in a matter of weeks (this Florida sun can be brutal).  I was even more disappointed when I harvested the potatoes.  I planted 2 lbs of seed potatoes and didn't get a single edible tuber from my efforts.  I used pine needles and such to mulch my potatoes then and the only tiny tubers I did get when harvested were in the actual SOIL.

This year I am going to give potatoes another try.  I bought 2 lbs of Yukon Gold seed potatoes, cut them, let them dry on the counter and planted them in the potato grow bags I bought on clearance last summer for $2 each.  Though I'm not a fan of Miracle Grow I decided I'd rather get a bountiful harvest this time around so I went ahead and planted the seed potatoes in Miracle Grow. I also am re-purposing two feed bags to test grow some extremely sprouted store bought potatoes.  I have my fingers crossed that all goes well this time and that we at least break even on harvest day.

No comments:

Post a Comment