Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What to plant in March Zone 9b

March is quickly approaching and I've got the itch to get more seeds in the ground ASAP.  

Here is a list of what you can plant in March in zone 9b.

Beans: Bush, Pole, and Lima
Cantaloupes
Sweet Corn
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Okra
English Peas

Peppers
Sweet Potatoes

Pumpkin
Gourds
Squash
Tomato
Watermelons
Carrots
Collards
Kohlrabi
Beets
Lettuce
Mustard
Green onions and Shallots

Radish
Turnips
* Mound up soil around potato stems to protect tubers from sun damage.


The items in BOLD are the crops I'm going to grow, however my primary focus will be on growing beans.  Lots and lots of beans.  I've got a shit ton of green bean seeds, along with a few new varieties that I am going to grow.  Speaking to other gardeners in my community, we average 4 to 8 green beans per bush bean plant.  That means I'll need to plant at least 20 plants for every meal I want to be able to serve my family, and more if I want to can or freeze beans for the winter.  I have about 400 green bean seeds, and hope to get them ALL in the ground this season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment