Friday, February 3, 2012

Planting Potatoes

Last night I picked up some Russet Seed Potatoes at my local garden center (only cost $2.98).  I cut the seed potatoes in half and planted them in a reusable grocery bag this morning.  I can't wait to see how well they grow in the reusable bag.  :)

Potatoes growing in reusable shopping bag - Day 1
Growing Potatoes in Reusable Shopping Bag
  • Acquire seed potatoes
  • Cut them to "egg size" (if needed), making sure there are at least 2 eyes per piece
  • Mix compost and peat moss and put 4" - 6" in bottom of bag
  • Lay potatoes in soil, cut side down.  (I planted 4 halves in this bag)
  • Barely cover with soil
  • Water thoroughly, until water seeps from bottom of bag
  • Add more soil (or pine needles) every couple weeks, half way up the plant growth.
  • Harvest when tops yellow and die back (but you can begin harvesting as soon as the plant flowers if you can't wait)

No comments:

Post a Comment