Sunday, March 3, 2013

Planting Sweet Potatoes - The Plan

I'm very excited to build my sweet potato bed today.  I have 34 lbs of sweet potatoes to plant. And that is after giving some away!  I've been considering digging up a large area of the grass to plant them, but time is not on my side for that project.  I have been brainstorming and it finally hit me!  I have several more 4x4 raised bed kits waiting to be installed (and taking up space in my laundry room) so I thought, "Self, why not use those kits to create a custom bed?"  LIGHTBULB!   I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner.  I have tons of landscape fabric in the shed just waiting to be put to good use.  All I would have left to get is the soil.

THE PLAN

1.  Lay out landscape fabric in area I have selected
2.  Build raised bed (4' x 12')
3.  Fill with soil (TBD)
4.  Grid out 12" squares (temporary - for planting only)
5.  Plant
6. Grow
7. Harvest
8.  Eat & Enjoy!  :)

I found this video discussing growing whole sweet potatoes vs slips and think this is how I will be planting this year.  





No comments:

Post a Comment