Friday, March 8, 2013

Growing Corn in Central Florida

Currently, up to 85 percent of U.S. corn is genetically engineered as are 91 percent of soybeans and 88 percent of cotton (cottonseed oil is often used in food products). It has been estimated that upwards of 70 percent of processed foods on supermarket shelves–from soda to soup, crackers to condiments–contain genetically engineered ingredients.  

As a grower I can understand why GMO corn was developed and why it is one of the largest GMO crops nationwide.  I've tried growing corn many times and am always disappointed when the worms eat the plants before we do.  However, as a human being and someone concerned with my families health I no longer buy sweet corn from the grocery store.  I've been trying to grow my own corn for years and have never had good results.  With the addition of 4 new beds in the front yard I am going to plant some corn seeds to see how well they produce.  I have spoken to many gardeners here and they have all said the same thing.  "The bugs get the corn and we never get ears."

I was recently told that it IS possible to grow corn here.  As it was explained, when the silks emerge you place a small drop of oil on the tip of the ear and that prevents worms/bugs from eating the ears.  I've got the space and the time (and the determination) so I'm going to give it another try.  Hopefully the worms don't bore down into the growing tip of the stalks this time and destroy plants by preventing them from growing.  Note to self:  Research how to prevent that organically.

Update: I planted Golden Bantam Corn every 8 inches in my 12' bed today (18 seeds).  I will plant a second row in a week or two.

1 comment:

  1. I am trying to grow sweet corn (golden) here in central FL and very interested in hearing about your efforts. Tks!

    ReplyDelete