Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Horse Poop, Garden Update and A Harvest

I visited the horse stables and scooped a bunch of composted manure for the garden.  I came home and amended the main garden bed with the compost.  I planted out the rest of my seedlings (basil, cabbage, peppers (I think they were mini sweets, but am not sure), artichoke and nastrums.  I added it to a side bed and planted herbs (basil, dill and chives).  And I added scoops around some of my sad looking veggies.

I decided to make a seed mix and sprinkle it over the newly composted bed and see what happens.  My seed mix included:


  • Artichoke
  • Beans, Bush, Blue Lake
  • Beets (Detroit Dark Red)
  • Bibb lettuce
  • Boc Choi
  • Cantaloupe
  • Carrot (unknown variety)
  • Carrot (Danvers half long)
  • Carrot (Nutri-Red)
  • Cucumber
  • Datil Peppers
  • Kohlrabi
  • Okra
  • Peas (Little Marvel (Dwarf))
  • Sweet Corn
  • Swiss Chard (Fordhook Giant)
I have a huge broccoli plant from the small head I harvested (just realized I didn't post about that) and it's put off two tiny side shoots.  I mean very tiny, as in smaller than the size of a dime.  I think I'll pull the huge plant and put it in the compost.  For the space it's taking up and the amount it's producing it's not really worth keeping.  

Without further ado, here are some pictures for you to enjoy!
36 4 oz jars of Loquat Jam

Herbs in a garden bed

The entire main garden bed

Seedings, Seed scatering and Amended with Horse Poop

Left side of the bed with beans, peas, herbs, tomatoes, onions, cukes

Tomato and Pinto seedlings

Peppers gone wild

Swiss Chard recovering from last harvest

Potatoes

Salad container

Herb container

Lettuce going to seed

Potted plants - I have to figure out why the leaves are yellowing


Poop added to sad looking veggies 

Tomatoes

Tomato

Squash flower peeking out this morning

First little green beans


First cherry tomatoes making an appearance 

Cukes and green beans

Kohlrabi harvest

1 of the 3 baskets of loquats we harvested
I apologize for the blurry pictures.  I guess that's what happens when you've only slept 2 hours and haven't had any coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment