Sunday, March 11, 2012

Another Harvest!

LOTS of work going on in the garden today.  After expanding the garden bed out 8 feet earlier this week, I decided to add tons of organic matter to 1/4 of the original main bed.  I found the soil was VERY compacted and the roots weren't able to spread they way the needed to for maximum growth.  I added peat moss and organic miracle-gro to the 1/4 of the bed and planted transplants of collards, hot peppers, sweet peppers, watermelon, green grape tomatoes and planted carrots and black eyed peas.


I harvested 2 lbs 6 oz of small carrots, 1 lb 6.2 oz beets, and 2.2 oz of misc carrots and 2 jalapeno peppers, and almost 1 lb of swiss chard.  While harvesting the chard I noticed there are 5 or 6 sets of ladybug eggs laid on the leaves!  Of course I left them, so they can hatch and eat up all the nasty aphids hanging around the new growth.






No comments:

Post a Comment