Friday, February 3, 2012

Using Fish Emulsion in the Vegetable Garden

After a great start to my garden I noticed my veggies were no longer growing by leaps and bounds.  Quite frankly this happens EVERY time I try to garden.  Everything takes off in the beginning, but halfway through the growth the plants stunt and start looking unhealthy.  Honestly. My garden hasn't changed appearance in 2 weeks!

After speaking to my husband about my concerns he informed me I have to feed my plants throughout the growing season.  REALLY?!?!?  I honestly had no idea.  I mean, it makes perfect sense.  How would a plant thrive without nutrients?  Sure we have good quality organic topsoil, but now that the plants are big enough to start producing, why wouldn't they need a nutrient boost to keep them growing?

After doing some basic internet research I stumbled across a few articles talking about using a foliar fertilizer made from fish emulsion to give the plants a quick boost.  A fine mist of a spray is preferred, but since I don't have a sprayer I just mixed it in the watering can and gently poured it on top of all my vegetables.   Eventually I will have a misting sprayer that I can use and I think it will help with vegetable production.

Using Fish Emulsion in the Vegetable Garden

  • Mix 2 TBSP fish emulsion in 1 gallon of water
  • Pour into sprayer (or leave in watering can)
  • Mist onto leaves of plants
  • Repeat every 3 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment