Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What I'm Planting - November 2011


As soon as it settled down around here, I raced out to plant my new garden bed!

Saturday, 11/19/11 I planted:
  • Lettuce (Bibb, Grand Rapids, 3 test varities, mesclun mix)
  • Spinach (Bloomsdale Long Standing)
  • Cauliflower (Early Snowball A)
  • Broccoli (De Cicco)
  • Carrots (Danver's #126)

Sunday, 11/20/11 I planted:
  • 6 cloves of white garlic (from Publix).  I've heard mixed results using store bought garlic so I want to try this myself to see how it goes.
  • Turnips (Purple Top White Globe)

Monday, 11/21/11 I planted:
  • Beets (Detroit Dark Red, Morse's Strain)
  • Onions (Hybrid Granex Yellow PRR)
  • Radishes (Icicle, Short Top)

I was excited to see the lettuces sprouting after only 2 days!  At 3 days I had broccoli come up, and at 4 days I'm seeing lots of little spinach plants showing themselves.  

Last year I double dug a 4' x 7' bed and amended it with lots of compost and nutrients.  After weeks of watering I saw a few pathetic little sprouts come up, but never got a full harvest from any of the plants (except a few dozen cherry tomatoes).  

For this new bed, Justin Cave (the host of HGTV's "Ground Breakers") brought in a half dump truck of organically amended, healthy soil.  I'm amazed at what a difference this good quality soil has made so far!   

To mark my rows I am using "craft sticks" since I have a ton leftover from a past craft project.  I've used them in the past and do know they will start to rot eventually, but that's okay because as long as I know what I planted where I'll remember what's what when the true leaves come in.  Now if I can just keep little hands from pulling the markers out I'll be all set!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment