Monday, November 28, 2011

Potatoes: To Grow or Not To Grow

I have an extra plastic drum sitting around and haven't figured out exactly what I want to use it for yet.  Originally I wanted to convert it to a third rain barrel, but I haven't even set up my first two yet, so I don't see it as an urgent project.  I've been researching how to grow vegetables in it, but I'm not seeing any hard fast how to information and I'm not confident enough to jump into a project like that without knowing the outcome.  But I did find a great article on the Mother Earth site about growing potatoes in the drum.  Here in Central FL we can only plant potatoes in January and February, so I have a little time to decide if I want to try it or not.

I need to research:
Growing material to fill the drum with.  I've read straw some places and sawdust other places.
Sun or shade.
Potato varieties: Should I grow white, gold, red, blue, baking, fingerling, etc?

Do you have a favorite variety of potato you can't live without or a company you'd recommend getting seed potatoes from?

No comments:

Post a Comment