Monday, May 9, 2011

I want to homestead

For years I've dreamed about having a nice little homestead.  Problem is, I don't have ANY of the skills or knowledge I need to live out my dream.  A few years ago I made some raised bed gardens and planted away, with little success.  I had all kinds of problems with my tomatoes, of the hundreds of carrots I planted I only got 2, which didn't seem edible to me so they went in the trash.  My compost turned into a hard black cement-like substance.  I tried having a worm bin, but all my worms ran away and died on the kitchen floor.  I felt discouraged and wallowed in self pity for a while.
Now I have the chance to try again.  I have double dug my first garden bed (a mere 4' x 5' or so) and have a few transplants in there already, along with a few seeds.  They've been in there a week or so and so far I haven't seen anything coming up.  It's discouraging to say the least.
I also started several dozen seeds in peat pots, including cucumbers, sunflowers, cherry tomatoes and green beans.  Those were planted 2 weeks ago and so far I have not seen anything happening there either.  I think I know what I did wrong though.  I stored my seeds in the HOT shed, and think I cooked them.  I'm going to try another round of seeds this week and we'll see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment