Wednesday, May 18, 2011

How much are these veggies going to cost me?

So far I have invested about $110 in my garden this year.  That has paid for seeds, transplants, topsoil, compost, a hose and a sprayer attachment.  I'd like to say that in the month I've been doing this I've harvested a nice bounty, but the truth is I have only harvested enough swiss chard for about half a side with dinner (I roasted it with a head of cauliflower to stretch it a bit).  I would have waited to harvest the chard if the stupid grasshoppers (Eastern Lubbers) hadn't eaten 1/3 of it.  Frankly, I didn't want to keep feeding them before I even got a piece so I decided to harvest what was ready.  I don't know if you're supposed to eat the leaves that insects ate, but I cut off their snack areas and cooked up the rest for the family.  We all enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment