Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Planting in wood chips

Last week I had the city of St Petersburg deliver 6 cubic yards of their "regular mulch" to my house.  The mulch is free, but there is a delivery fee of $25.  Not a bad deal in my opinion.  I've been mulching all over the yard, but am really focused on re-mulching the back beds.  The 6" of mulch that we put down last November is pretty much completely decomposed so it needs to be done.  The first bed I re-mulched was the flower bed next to the patio.  In just a few days I'm seeing great results.  The Nasturtim (Alaska Mix) planted already is getting bigger, darker green leaves already, which indicates the mulch is a much needed organic matter improvement.

With this in mind I decided to go ahead and spread some seeds on the mulch, water them in and watch what happens.  I got to work mixing up all sorts of flowers and edibles and spread them around.

Flower and edible seed mix:

Nasturtium (Alaska Mix)
Columbine (Mckana's Mixed Colors)
Zinia (Dwarf Pumila Sprite Mixed Colors)
Coreopsis
Organic carrots (Deep Orange)
Lettuce (Iceburg)
Carrot (Petite Sweet)
Lettuce (Grand Rapids (Leaf))
Purple Coneflower

I also planted Colorful Beet Mix in the Earthbox and Detroit Dark Red Beets in the main garden bed.

If I can keep the moisture level in the wood chip bed I have a feeling the plants will take off!  Can't wait to see what happens!

1 comment:

  1. 3 inches of mulch holds one inch of rain. So yeah it should keep things moist.

    ReplyDelete