Monday, December 12, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent (Powdered)

Years ago I used to make my own liquid laundry detergent.  I loved using it, but sometimes it was a hassle to boil, melt, pour and stir the soap to get it just right.  (It wasn't hard, just time consuming.)  There was always the option of making powdered laundry detergent, but I always wondered if it dissolved in the wash well enough to really work.

Yesterday I ran out of store bought detergent, but still had detergent making supplies on hand (I always wanted to get back into making my own anyway) so I decided to try a powdered version instead of the liquid (gel-like) version.

To my surprise the powdered version worked as well as if not better than the liquid!  And it was SOOOO much easier to make!  Here's how:


Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent


1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1 cup Borax
1 bar grated soap (Ivory, Zote or Fels Naptha)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.  Stir well.  Use 1 TBSP per load, or 2 TBSP for heavily soiled loads.

No comments:

Post a Comment