Thursday, June 2, 2011

Feeling Discouraged

I think I may have gardening OCD.  I spend countless hours everyday out tending to my bed, making sure no bugs are getting my harvest before I do.  All in all things were going pretty well.  One morning last week I went out to check my garden (as I do first thing every morning) and I couldn't believe my eyes!  My pepper plants were being chewed apart, my radishes were turning yellow, my tomatoes were getting spotty, and something was eating everything else!  I couldn't believe it!  After weeks of a beautiful garden it suddenly looked unloved and neglected!

I raced into the house to google the million issues I was having and once I found what I thought was the cause of these many problems I headed back to the garden armed with my knowledge.  Sure enough I found caterpillars, aphids, mites, grasshoppers, gnats, flies, and more...EVERYWHERE!  I was so disappointed!!!!!!  I felt like I wasted all of my efforts.  Here I was wanting to start my little Florida Homestead and instead I felt like I created a breeding ground for insects.  I didn't know where I went wrong.  

After spending a day wallowing in self-pity my dear husband reminded me that this is a learning process and not to be discouraged.  Instead, he said, take the information I have and try to make it better.  That's when I began treating it more like a science experiment than a garden.  I didn't make any dramatic changes, but I added another 40 lbs of compost on top of the soil to act as a mulch.  And I started flipping over leaves throughout the day to see what I could kill.  Now, every time I head out the door I stop by to check for bugs. 

I'm happy to report that things have improved since my husband opened my eyes to the situation.  I hope I can keep the garden looking as good as it does now!

No comments:

Post a Comment